8 years old

Condition after acute lymphocytic leukemia L1,
not T-cell (high-risk group)

Exacerbation of hepatitis C



Veronika spent over a year at hospital, perhaps longer than any other child in the past 13 years. The therapy was constantly delayed because of complications. Moreover, the girl also had an acute attack of appendicitis, and the doctors performed a unique operation when the girl had an extremely low WBC count.

It is probably during one of the blood transfusions that the girl was infected with hepatitis. There is nobody to blame. Even the donor blood that fits all standards and has been tested for hepatitis can cause an infection if the patient's immune system is suppressed. And this is the case with our children...

Now hepatitis is acute. Long and tenacious treatment with Intron A is necessary. Maybe for a year. The amount required for the first three months is about 1800 USD. This sum is not so enormous as the sum that our other children need. But the Ostrovskis are a family of many children and have no chance to earn this sum by themselves.

They, and all of us, ask you to help Veronika!


September 6, 2004. Help for the children was received. D. from Moscow transferred money for the treatment of
= Ilya Sarafanov: 300 USD;
= Veronika Ostrovskaya: 500 USD;
= Valya Polishchuk: 400 USD.

August 23, 2004. Tatiana Kopan transferred 250 EUR to the account of the Save a Russian Child Mission to buy Intron for Veronika.

Lyudmila Leshchuk from Kiev sent 50 hryvnias (approx. 50 USD) to buy "routine" medicines for Veronika.

July 29, 2004. An anonymous sponsor from Sevastopol provided 300 hryvnias (approx. 55 USD) for the treatment of Valya Polishchuk and 100 hryvnias (approx. 20 USD) to buy medicines for Veronika Ostrovskaya.


August 1, 2003. Veronika's chemotherapy is going on. Because of various complications and an attack of appenticitis, the treatment lasts longer than expected. The second year since Veronika's admission to the hospital department has begun.

February 2003. Veronika was in a critical situation. After a block of high-dose chemotherapy, when the amount of all blood cells sharply decreased, she had an attack of acute appendicitis. The operation, which can well be regarded as outstanding if not unique, took place at a disastrously low WBC count. The surgeons were precise and quick. Then resuscitation specialists fought for the girl's life in a specially equipped separate ward. Neupogen injections helped take her out of leukopenia, and the sutures were removed at the 8th day.
Now Vika has begun her next chemotherapy course prescribed by the protocol.